Aviator Leather Cap
14 Dec 2016
Aviator caps are easy to do. But a pattern will save you a lot of time.
If you want to build your own we compiled a set of instructions so we can make your work easier. The slideshow above will guide you through the entire process.
Here is what you need to know before you start:
We recommend using thick natural leather at least 0.04 inches thick for getting the best result that will guarantee a long lasting piece
The tools required are:
• Printed patterns on A4 paper.
• a regular cutter,
• a hole puncher,
• two needles
The materials required are:
• patches of natural leather
• thick thread, preferably waxed
Step 1 Cutting the patterns
• Gather all materials required. I recommend 2mm thick natural leather
• Print all the patterns on a A4 paper
• Cut the patterns and stick to the leather with tape
• Cut carefully the leather following the outline of the A4 print
• Finish cutting all patches before moving on the next step, including the straps
Step 2 The stitching
• Using the printed patterns carefully mark with a needle where all the holes need to be made. Best to apply the pattern on the outside face of the leather when doing this.
• Punch all the holes and start stitching. If is the first time stitching I recommend watching a leather stitching tutorial first from youtube.
• Take your time stitching as the final outcome of the piece will depend a lot on it.
At this time, if you followed closely my instructions and used proper construction materials you should be holding a beautiful Aviator Cap that you made yourself and bask into the happiness of making something with your own hands.
If you have any questions or need any other information please email me and I will answer as soon as possible.
Tell us what you think